Never Flush These Items Down Your Septic Tank
Save yourself time and money by avoiding these simple septic tank "no-nos”.
- Trash such as dental floss, coffee grounds, kitty litter, cigarette butts and plastic bags - Your tank is not a garbage can!
- Disposable diapers, sanitary napkins or tampons
- Latex condoms, gloves or similar products
- Fat, grease or oil – these substances will congeal in the plumbing, in the septic tank and in the drain field and may clog the system
- Toys - This one may be an obvious one but little kids may toss a car or a doll in to the toilet, which could cause a costly clog.
- Gauze, bandages and/or prescription drugs
Lastly, NEVER flush hazardous chemicals that could contaminate surface and groundwater, such as paints, bleach, thinners, motor oil or pesticides. In addition to hurting your tank and drain field you will also be putting your friends and neighbors at risk. Dispose of these chemicals properly and use environmentally safe cleaning products for your home.
It’s your turn! What nightmare clogs have you experienced? Share them with us in the comment section below.